ad

Showing posts with label hurricane. Show all posts
Showing posts with label hurricane. Show all posts

Jay-Z and Beyonce Will Be Heading Hurricane Benefit Concert in NYC: Details!

Four months after giving birth to twins, Beyoncé will make her long-awaited return to the stage for a concert with her husband, Tidal owner Jay-Z, to benefit those affected by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma, IPRESSTV exclusively confirms.

The show will be held at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, on Tuesday, October 17. Several Roc Nation artists are expected to perform.



BeyoncĂ©, 36, has been actively involved in relief efforts in the aftermath of the unprecedented, catastrophic hurricanes, which made landfall in late August and early September. She delivered an impassioned plea to donors in a video message that aired during the Hand in Hand telethon on September 12. 







"During a time where it's impossible to watch the news without seeing violence or racism in this country, just when you think it couldn't possibly get worse, natural disasters take precious life, do massive damage and forever change lives, leaving behind contaminated water, flooded hospitals, schools and nursing homes," she said in a pre-recorded message before urging fans to "come together in a collective effort to raise our voices, to help our communities, to lift our spirits and heal."

The "Formation" singer also headed down to her hometown of Houston earlier this month to distribute food to those affected in the area. "This, today, is a celebration of survival," she told evacuees at St. John's Church. "Y'all are my family. Houston is my home. I thank God that y'all are safe, that your children are safe. The things that really matter are your health and your children, and your family and your life."

Meanwhile, Jay-Z, 47, has been busy promoting his latest album, 4:44. He recently performed at V Festival in England and The Meadows Music & Arts Festival in NYC, and will kick off his world tour in Anaheim, California, on October 27.

Queen Bey and Jay-Z welcomed twins Rumi and Sir in June. They are also the parents of 5-year-old daughter Blue Ivy.













Hurricane Irma's Advances Bringing down power to nearly 3,000 in Fort Myers area

Around 9 a.m. Sunday residents along Three Oaks Parkway in south Lee County finally had their first tangible smack from Hurricane Irma when their power went out.

Earlier, as the first winds from Hurricane Irma brushed through the southern tip of Florida power companies supplying energy to the area reported about 3,000 residents how lost their power.



Ximena Hurtado, who lives in the Lakes Community just off Three Oaks near Alico Road, reported via text message that her family, including her husband, his brother, and her daughter, was now without power.






Farther down Three Oaks, in the Rookery Point community in Estero, Len Vanover reported lights flickering and the cable sporadic but that power was still on.

"It's just like a regular storm," he said.

In North Fort Myers, Rhonda GB reported her power went out around 10 a.m.

Karen Ryan, a spokeswoman for the Lee County Electric Cooperative, said about 1,300 residents had been affected as of 7 a.m.




"Most on our south system," she said. LCEC serves areas in Lee and Collier counties from Marco Island and Everglades City to Cape Coral and parts of North Fort Myers.

As of 8 .m. LCEC showed the Naples area with the most outages with 875, 205 in Cape Coral, 95 in North Fort Myers, 90 in Marco Island, 35 in Lehigh Acres and Immokalee, 18 in Sanibel and 2 on Pine Island.

Once Irma's effects have dissipated, LCEC said the order of power priority would be: Buildings housing emergency responders, like fire stations, police stations; City and county emergency operations centers; Area hospitals and shelters, housing those escaping from the storm; LCEC substations, providing power; Residences, especially those areas experiencing the highest outages; The most remote customers, where there aren’t many homes.

FPL was reporting a like number of outages in the service area it overs in Southwest Florida.

Here’s a 9 a.m. update for Florida’s west coast:
Manatee County: Customers: 184,900; Without power: 60; Power restored: 150; Sarasota County: Customers: 263,800; Without power: 350; Power restored: 1,840; De Soto County: Customers: 16,600; Without power: 130; Power restored: 230; Charlotte County; Customers: 114,100; Without power: 230; Power restored: 330; Lee County:  Customers: 259,900; Without power: 1,350; Power restored: 1,760;Collier County: Customers: 210,700; Without power: 3,010; Power restored: 4,020; Monroe County:  Customers: 90; Without power: 90; Power restored: 0

FPL has about 1 million customer accounts, or 2 million people, in Manatee, Sarasota, De Soto, Charlotte, Lee, Collier, and Monroe counties, according to its website.


Radar over South Florida (Photo: National Weather Service)


Company officials estimate about 6 million people, representing 3.4 million customer accounts, will lose power in the storm’s wake. A majority will be on the west coast if Irma continues on her current track.

The company, which serves five million accounts representing 10 million people in 35 counties, expects to perform major restoration efforts on Florida’s east coast and a rebuild of its system on the west coast, which Irma is expected to destroy.

Restoration can take anywhere from hours to days, while a rebuild could takes weeks or more, company representatives said.

The company plans to deploy about 16,000 utility workers from 29 different states to begin restoration efforts once conditions are safe.

Staging areas are shifting west with Irma to be ready to work when the storm passes.

The workers, employed by other utilities companies throughout the U.S., can begin restoration work once winds drop to 35 mph and flood waters recede.

Continue to check for power outage updates.














Jennifer Lawrence Thinks Donald Trump Ignorance Is Behind Hurricanes

Jennifer Lawrence is not holding back. The actress is in the middle of her promotional tour for her new movie mother!, and is using this opportunity to reveal her thoughts on everything from climate change and the gender pay gap, to how she feels about President Donald Trump.


Lawrence, 27, sat down with journalist Jackie Long from Britain’s Channel 4 News for an interview published on Wednesday, September 6, and the Oscar winner was asked about all the devastation happening in the United States and the rest of the world — including natural disasters like Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma.  



Jennifer Lawrence and Donald Trump Samir Hussein/Samir Hussein/WireImage; Bill O'Leary/The Washington Post via Getty Images
“You’re watching these hurricanes now, and it’s hard — especially while promoting this movie, not to feel mother nature’s rage and wrath,” she said. “It’s scary. It’s this new language that’s forming — I don’t even recognize. It’s scary to know, it’s been proven through science, that climate change is due to human activity. And we continue to ignore it, and the only voice we have is through voting.”

Long highlighted that not only is mother nature wreaking havoc in the U.S. but there is also a clear political divide in the country currently. Lawrence, who has been vocal about her disdain for Trump in the past, said that finding out he had been elected as president was “startling” for her.

When asked what she thinks about the former Celebrity Apprentice host, 71, the Hunger Games star replied saying, “I don’t find him confusing. I think I know exactly what he is.” She added: “It’s really polarizing and upsetting. I’ve heard things and seen things on TV in my own country that devastate and make me sick. It’s really confusing.”

While making the Darren Aronofsky film has been therapeutic for her, the Passengers star is remaining hopeful, saying, “I have to feel hope. You can’t just fall into despair.”

Lawrence wrote a passionate op-ed for Vice about Trump’s shocking defeat over Hillary Clinton in November 2016, saying, “Do not let this defeat you — let this enrage you! Let it motivate you! Let this be the fire you didn’t have before. If you are an immigrant, if you are a person of color, if you are LGBTQ+, if you are a woman — don't be afraid, be loud!”













Hurricanes Jose and Katia Are Gathering Strength While The World Is Still Watching Hurricane Irma,


As Category 4 Hurricane Irma commands most of the media attention this week, two other hurricanes -- Jose and Katia -- have been gathering strength as they threaten landfall.
Irma has been slamming Caribbean islands and was projected to reach Florida over the weekend. But Hurricane Jose has officially been classified a Category 3 storm, and Hurricane Katia was set to slam into Mexico early Saturday.
Jose is reportedly following a path similar to Irma's and could potentially hit the same Caribbean islands that were devastated by Irma days ago, the National Hurricane Center said. Antigua and Barbuda were alerted of possible “life-threatening flooding" due to Jose.
The center previously said Jose had sustained wind speeds of 60 mph, but recently became “a little bit stronger” – with winds reaching 125 mph as of Friday morning.
Jose was roughly 480 miles east-southeast of the northern Leeward Islands – which Irma already hit earlier this week.
Meantime, Hurricane Katia was threatening to make landfall early Saturday in the state of Veracruz in Mexico. 
Katia, classified as strong Category 2 hurricane and edging toward Category 3 status, has sustained winds of 90 mph, according to a Friday morning advisory. Hurricane warnings suggest rainfall from Katia could result in “life-threatening flash floods and mudslides, especially in areas of mountainous terrain," the National Hurricane Center said.
Katia is currently about 165 miles from Tampico, Mexico. 
Mexico was hit late Thursday by a powerful 8.1-magnitude earthquake, leaving at least 15 people dead and triggering tsunami waves, the U.S. Geological Survey said.













President Donald Trump’s $17 Million Caribbean Property Lashed By Hurricane Irma


Hurricane Irma is currently wreaking havoc in the Caribbean, and it’s not pardoning properties owned by the commander in chief.

One of Donald Trump’s vacation homes, known as Le Chateau des Palmiers, was in the direct path of the category 5 hurricane as it hit the island of St. Martin Wednesday morning, the Washington Post reports.


The state of the property, which is currently listed for sale with Sotheby’s International Realty for $16.9 million after being slashed from the original $28 million asking price earlier this summer, is currently unknown. However, a government official confirms even the island’s strongest structures were devastated by the storm.
“We know that the four most solid buildings on the island have been destroyed, which means that more rustic structures have probably been completely or partially destroyed,” French Interior Minister Gerard Collomba told AFP

The 5-bedroom beachfront villa located on Plum Bay at the western point of the island was reportedly purchased by the Trump family in 2013, after being listed for $19.7 million and has since been rented out for luxury vacations.










A spokesperson for the Trump Organization, Amanda Miller, told the Post, “All of the proper precautions and protections have been implemented and right now we are just praying for all those in the path of Hurricane Irma in the Caribbean and beyond.”
Irma is barreling towards Florida, where the president owns several more properties including the golf resort Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach. It’s expected to make landfall there this weekend.

Miller adds of the threat to Trump’s mainland properties, “The safety and security of our guests, members and colleagues is our top priority and we are closely monitoring Hurricane Irma. Our teams at the Trump properties in Florida are taking all of the proper precautions and following local and Florida state advisories very closely to ensure that everyone is kept safe and secure. We continue to send our thoughts and prayers to victims of Hurricane Harvey and are praying for those that are in the path of Hurricane Irma.”

Watching Hurricane closely. My team, which has done, and is doing, such a good job in Texas, is already in Florida. No rest for the weary!

Trump tweeted on Wednesday, “Watching Hurricane closely. My team, which has done, and is doing, such a good job in Texas, is already in Florida. No rest for the weary!” Adding in a separate tweet, “Hurricane looks like largest ever recorded in the Atlantic!”













10 Facts about Hurricane Irma As It Threatens Florida














RECENT POSTS

ad